Thursday, July 2, 2015

June Hustling- Some Old and then Some New Tricks

Back in April I wrote a little post about trying out hustling. I haven't stopped since then, but decided I probably shouldn't keep blabbing about my personal finances online all the time. BUT I did conclude that if something new works, and works well for me, I should happily share it so others may try it out and see if it works for them.

June, the best month ever for hustling so far. Even with a break that lasted an entire week in the middle of it. I made over $300 in hustling for June.

First off, I cashed out in Swagbucks. I had enough to cash out $150, but only took out $100. This was so we could have a little extra money to work with while on our vacation (aka souvenir yarn). So that counts toward this month's hustling income, even though it took well over a year for me to reach that point. Swagbucks is not a get rich quick scheme, it's more of a drop in the bucket each day will eventually fill the bucket earner.

Second, I kept going with Fiverr. I truly believe that the longer I'm on Fiverr, and I do my absolute best on every gig I get, that the positive reviews and word of mouth will help my 'business' grow. I've had several repeat customers, and new ones come in weekly. Sometimes they come in daily.

I also adjusted my pricing on fiverr to better reflect my skill set, as well as pay me better for my time. I was a little nervous to do this, just like I was with the Etsy shop, but I did it. If anything I'm getting more business after the price raise.

Finally, my big money maker this month: Tutoring.

Yes, tutoring. I used to tutor and it was a terrible experience. This time around has been much better so far. Why? Because I set a price and said it was non-negotiable. Of course, I was nice about it, making sure I clearly stated my qualifications so they know why they are paying what they are paying. The client is much older than my previous ones, so the client could sign the contract on their own, as well as the parents signing the contract. (Yes, I have a tutoring contract. It protects me from having a repeat of the original tutoring disaster.) I also feel like when I explain a concept, the client actually understand that sometimes you just have to learn something because it's expected, or that it seems like something useless but really you will use it all the time as an adult. (For example- pythagoreon theorem vs. times tables... one I don't even really remember what it was, the other I use at least weekly if not more.)

After gaining this client, I did the math and found out that if I were to take on a couple more clients at the current rate, I wouldn't necessarily have to get a day job upon completing my degree requirements (lab hours and the like, all done in July). However, tutoring can really wear on a person, so proceed with caution. Start with one or two clients to see how much you really like it. And if you need advice, shoot me a message and I will give you all you can get.

How do I find tutoring clients? Care.com. No joke. I have looked into tutoring companies but the thing I don't like about them is that they take a cut of the money. And I'm not into that. Especially since every single one I looked at said I had to charge $X to start, and then if I build up a client base then I could start charging more after approval, or something. And that $X? Well, let's just say I'm making more per hour in my assistantship as a graduate student.

No comments:

Post a Comment