Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Aloe Take Two

I discovered my first attempt at propagating aloe didn't take a few weeks ago. I set out to try again, this time with a few tweaks to the process.

1. I used a larger leaf. The other leaf I used was rather small, and just the tip of the leaf. This one I decided to try using the entire leaf.

2. I cut the leaf with a knit at an angle, as instructed by one youtube video.
 I also let the leaf 'dry out' before placing it in the soil. Many websites recommended allow the aloe to form a 'callous' on it's end before putting it into the soil. This is what mine looked like.

All the websites said the callous would be white, but mine wasn't. In fact the callous formed about 24 hours after the cut, and everyone said to wait 2 weeks for it to form. I waited two weeks, but it never changed the way it looked after the first 24 hours. 

3. I 'treated' it with honey. Honey is a natural anti-bacterial, so to avoid rot from bacteria attacking my aloe and to avoid buying 'root growing mediums' or 'root powders', I went with organic honey. I already had it on hand and at least one source said it would work just as well as the commercial stuff.

4. Instead of lying it in the soil, like some folks say you should do, I placed it upright in the pot. Like some other people say you should do.
And that's where I'm at. It's planted, upright, with honey, in a pot after waiting two weeks for it to 'dry out'. I will keep you all updated on how it goes in the future! 

p.s. I'm quite enjoying my little experiments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment