Thursday, January 17, 2013

Leggings ≠ Pants; Leggings = Tights

For those of you who don't know, I used to be a clothing designer. It was what I was going to be. In fact, I'm one semester shy of getting my degree in costume design (but we all know that is not going to happen because I like playing with children more than I like taking care of adults who act like children).

On a certain day, I was watching one of 'my shows', Project Runway. Now, watching Project Runway always makes me want to drop everything and start sewing. Unfortunately I was traveling at that time. (Let's face it, it's right now but I'm trying to not let people know too much about my whereabouts.) So, instead running off to get that red blouse made or that white lacy shirt I have in the works, I decided to cruise the internet and see if I could find a modest formal dress. This has been a quest of mine for awhile, but tonight, I got a little sidetracked.

I clicked on shop section titled "Pants" and was annoyed, but sadly not surprised, at what I saw.

PEOPLE, LEGGINGS ARE NOT PANTS!


Leggings ≠ Pants

Ladies, leggings are the equivalent of tights. You MUST wear something over them, like a skirt:



While this skirt is a little too short for my personal taste, at least it's covering the girl up. If you choose to wear a tunic over leggings, make sure it is at least as long as the strip of fabric that girl has wrapped around herself as a skirt. If you were to bend over without leggings on in the skirt or tunic, the only cheeks we should see should be on your face (this is a general rule for anything clothes related, m'kay?)



Now, there are probably some people who are still a little confused so, here are two more pictures for demonstrative purposes. One was the result of a search for "Leggings" and one was the result of a search for "Tights". 


If you can't tell which is which, that's probably because they are EQUIVALENT. (That big word means that they are the same thing.)

What's that? You still don't understand the difference between leggings and pants?  Compare the following picture of pants to the above pictures of leggings (you still don't know which is which, do you?)


Please, ladies, especially you younger crowd. Wear leggings as leggings not pants. Leggings as pants is just giving too much away for free, and often it is TMI for the rest of us (but enough for creeps and perverts).

If you are still confused or need more help understanding if you are wearing pants or leggings. Or need a thumbs up (or down) on an outfit, drop me a line on Facebook (Aunt Jaq) or comment below.

Better yet, follow the blog. I'm only one person short of reaching my goal of 5 followers.

1 comment:

  1. i totally agree!! when i went to new york i saw this everywhere...i thought they were supposed to be ahead of the fashion trends! i guess even if leggings as pants is the "in" thing, i don't want to be "in"!

    ReplyDelete