Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Capsule Wardrobe: My First Problem to Solve

Since I have decided to have Capsule Wardrobe (or at least attempt to have one), I’ve run into a…. kink.

The Question

You see, long before I even came across the concept of a capsule wardrobe, I struggled with the concept of how many pants a woman needs. Jeans specifically. I mean, you can’t need 15 pairs, can you? I can’t really even imagine needing 5 pairs.

Since having the baby, I’ve gone pants shopping once. I found two pairs of jeans that fit my post baby body, and settled at that. Fast forward 6 months (yes, only 6 months), and I’ve worn through both pairs completely. At the upper thigh area, one of the places that got bigger and I didn’t really notice until now. You can see my undies.

Unfortunately, I just finished purging the fabric stash, and no longer have random bits and bobs of fabric around to patch the upper thigh chafe through holes on these still good jeans.

And so, yet again, the age old question came up yet again for me. How many pairs of jeans do I actually need?

My Answer 

After thinking about it long and hard (okay a day or two in a panic over not having any pants), I decided on 2-3 pairs depending on what I could find that fit me. Being short but not skinny, I have a rough time finding pants that fit well. I’ve been hemming my own pants since high school.  With the skinny fit trend, and post baby, I’ve had to figure out what size I am and what actually fits without being too tight.

Honest moment here: I’ve gone up 3 sizes since having baby. The hips don’t lie. This size change is holding true across several brands (Do we need a post on vanity sizing?).

Why 2 pairs? Since I would love to promote up in my job, I’ve decided to dress for the promotion I hope to get in a couple years now. That way I don’t have to scramble to get a whole new wardrobe when the time comes to no longer wear the uniform. Technically, the uniform is only the shirt, so pants will make me look more professional, or not. 

Also, last time I went jeans shopping I tried on about 50 pairs and found 2 that fit. If I want more than 2, I’d have to try hundreds on and I don’t have time for that.


I’ve already bought and received the fabric for a pair of dress pants. Maybe 2, depending on how the muslin looks it could enter the public clothes arena. I plan to add to my 2 pairs of jeans 1 pair of plain black dress pants, a pair of pinstriped dress pants, and either khaki or navy dress pants.

So in total I will have 5 pairs of pants.

If you’re having panic attacks over this number, keep in mind this is just the pants. We haven’t gotten in to skirts yet!


Stay tuned to see how making my dress pants goes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment