Monday, December 10, 2012

Piano Dreams

     

                As a child, I remember a lot of my friends complaining about having to practice piano. They hated it. They didn’t like taking lessons. There were so many  better things to be doing than playing the piano. I was so lucky that I didn’t have to do any of those things.
                I was so jealous.
                I even tried a couple time to talk one of my friends into teaching me piano, even though we didn’t have one.
                When I was about 15, my parents had a sudden fit and bought a piano. All my siblings, having music training that included marimba( which is basically a piano that you hit with mallets), all can play the piano. My sister can play pretty much anything you put in front of her. And my little brother, Bruth, is brilliant. He plays the most beautiful music, and all he does is sit down and start playing. He doesn’t even need the music.
                I would think about that piano, and if no one was home and there was no chance they would walk in on me, I would see what noises I could make on it.
                As I’ve gotten older (and let’s face it, I’m still pretty young) I’ve decided that I can’t sit around and pine about things. I can’t say “oh I’ll do that when I have time”. I either do it, or I leave it. And I’ve had some awesome experiences since I’ve started living my life that way.
                So, about three months ago, I decided it was time. I have a steady enough income, and time. I know how to set reasonable expectations and goals. I came up with a goal, and started to look for a piano teacher. I found one who said these magic words:
                “Jaq, it’s not too late for you to become a Great Piano Player.”
                I love her.
                 I have already mastered several hymns from the simplified hymn book and quite enjoy sight reading new ones. My first recital is in 2 days. I love playing. I just love it.
                And I will never complain about having to practice piano.

No comments:

Post a Comment