Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Crockpot Recipe from Pinterest: Buffalo Chicken Dip

This crockpot recipe was from Balancing Beauty and Bedlam. I can't really tell you much about this blog because I've only looked at the recipe for Buffalo Chicken Dip. Sorry. 

So, I really dislike it when recipes are for crockpots, but they require you to pre-cook something. That totally undermines the appeal and purpose of crockpot cooking. In my mind, a crockpot recipe means you toss everything in it and go.

This recipe called for pre-cooked, shredded chicken. Instead of precooking the chicken, I just put it in the crockpot first, then when I got home I shredded the chicken, still in the crockpot. Also, I didn't mix the cheeses and hot sauce together. I also didn't use bleu cheese, just ranch, because I like it better. I didn't soften the cream cheese, I just put it all in the crockpot, turned it on low, and left for work. I was gone about 7 hours in total. After shredding the chicken,  I stirred everything together really well, and put the remaining cheese on top. Then I did some chores: starting laundry, getting the mail, checking Facebook... the normal stuff.

It turned out really well. It's no KK Buffalo Chicken Dip, but it's still a great recipe and easily adaptable to your needs and preferences.

BUffalo Chicken Dip

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 cups finely shredded chicken, 
  • 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup dressing (Mix and match Ranch/Bleu Cheese)
  • 3/4 cup pepper sauce
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (Your favorite – Cheddar, Bleu, Mozzarella, Mexican blend etc.)
  • 1 (8 ounce) box crackers, pita chips, Frito Scoops (your favorite)
  • 1 bunch celery, cleaned and cut into 4 inch pieces (for a light serving option)

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. Mix softened cream cheese until smooth.
  2. Stir in dressing, and hot sauce, then add chicken to combine.
  3. Heat in a skillet or microwave, until well blended and warm.
  4.  Mix in half of the shredded cheese, and transfer the mixture to a mini slow cooker.
  5. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top, cover, and cook on Low setting until hot and bubbly. If you do not have a crock pot, just melt cheese in oven or microwave.
  6. Serve with your choice of crackers and/or celery sticks, if going light.
For oven only variation, Mix all ingredients,except reserve half of the shredded cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for  15 minutes, then sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake for five additional minutes.
Preparation time: 5 – 10 (Goes very quickly with cooked chicken)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12

No comments:

Post a Comment