Saturday, February 18, 2017

Books 2017

(I'm trying a new thing here, and have to let you know that some of the links in this post are part of a paid affiliate program.)

I have to admit, I love reading. However, no amount of research or mommy blogs or panicked calls to my mother prepared me for this.

We are a full month and a half into 2017 and I've only read one book.

As someone who used to read a book a day on a good week, and one a week or so on an 'off' week, this was a bit alarming. I mean, I read. It's what I do. It's a huge part of who I am.

I have a memory of trying to convince my friends back in grade school to do a read-a-thon with me one summer. When all of them refused, I pulled out a blanket, a pile of books, and had my own read-a-thon on the front lawn, you know, in case someone happened to pass by and wanted to join me.

I've got a pile of books on the couch, just waiting for me to read them. Yet, every time I seem to reach for them something happens.

I call it the Mommy Sense. You see, babies have this Mommy Sense. They can sense when mommy is about to do something. It could be something necessary like starting the laundry, it can be work related like sitting down to write a blog post or finally get to editing that book, or it could be when mommy thinks you are napping but really you are waiting for her to sit down and do something that she thinks is relaxing because that's what it was in her life before you. But we all know that life before the Baby is this mystical land in which no one spits up, or cries just because they want snuggles, or refuses to sleep at 2 am.

I get it. "Brown Bear", "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom", and "Rosie Revere, Engineer" are the best I can hope for now.

At least until someone decides that naps and bedtime are actually a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment