Tuesday, January 31, 2017

I'm NOT adding to Stash

Ok. So the February challenge is to not buy anything to add to your stash. How's it going so far? Yeah?

If you need a little help accomplishing this challenge, I have some tips for you. I've done  these when I've done spending freezes before. (100 days is usually what I go for.)

Break it Down

A month seems so long right? You really struggle with this, I mean, you've tried it before and it didn't work.

Just break it down. Set the goal to go a day. Then make it a week. Then keep going. You eat an elephant one bite at a time.



If you are a visual person, make a special mark on each day you don't buy. Make a chain of days with the mark on them, and DON'T BREAK THE CHAIN! This is something that totally works for me. When I did the 100 day challenge, I actually wrote the number of the day I was on.

Focus on Finishing

You know all those WIPs and PHDs? (Works In Progress and Projects Half Done.) Finish them. It feels great to finish. You can check them off your list. Bonus, if you get them all done, you can start out March with a clean slate.

Savings

Ok, this one is one I have not actually done, but have thought about it and may try it this go-around. Every time you are tempted to add to your stash, write down the price of the items, and then walk away. DO NOT buy it, just take note of how much it would cost you if you were to buy it.

From here you have two options.

 At the end of the month add it all up and be excited/surprised/flabbergasted at how much money you did not spend on supplies. What could you do with that money instead? Emergency savings? An extra payment on the car/house/credit card?

Or, each time you are tempted to buy, instead of buying move that money from your checking to your savings account. Do it as you are in the store if you have a fancy phone that allows you to do that. Again, at the end of the month look at the total amount of money you saved by not buying for your stash.


Those are my top  tips to help you accomplish this month's goal. What are your strategies for not buying?

No comments:

Post a Comment