Saturday, June 11, 2016

The Commercial Cleaning Method

I have been on a cleaning binge lately. As I was thinking about it, I have a method that works really well for me when it comes to cleaning on weekdays. And I don't think I've ever blogged about it before so here ya go.

The Commercial Cleaning Method

I don't know about you, but I happen to work full time outside of the home. While I'm working on being able to work from home, I'm not quite there yet. So I head out the door and do a 9-5 shift every weekday. By the time I get home, I'm tired, I just want to sit and relax. Watch tv and knit, maybe get some sewing done, or have a sprawl on the couch with a good book. Cleaning the house is not top of my priority list.

But, when the weekend comes, I still want to relax. I've worked all week and am pooped. I need a day of rest. I need a day just for me. I can use this time to catch up on projects that I want to get done. I can read an entire book, or two! 


Unfortunately, I don't have cleaning fairies, and the Tomten does his job by keeping things safe while we're out and about. He doesn't clean. The house still needs cleaning every week. I came up with a method to help this along while still feeling like I get my relaxing in during the week, and even on the weekend if I'm not being super productive. Lately I've been slacking on my Saturday morning stuff, for several reasons, one of which is the new hours at work so I don't get up so ridiculously early. 

Enter, the Commercial Cleaning Method. It's pretty simple. I have my list of things that need cleaning or doing (such as laundry or bills) ready to go at all times. Usually in my head, but sometimes I actually write the list out.  I get home from work. I have myself some dinner. Or I go straight to relaxing on the couch while watching tv. 

The things that need doing will get done though, with thanks to... commercial breaks. Yep. I don't have to watch commercials, they don't tell me important stuff like the newscast does. I won't list any important plot points in the show I'm watching during this time. So, at commercial breaks I hop off the couch and work on one to-do. I keep the tv loud enough (but not too loud) so I can hear when the commercials end and go back to the tv room. 

Here are a few things that can get done in one commercial break: 
  • Clean the toilet
  • Clean the sinks
  • Wipe down counters
  • Sweep
  • Pick up the living room
  • Load/unload the dishwasher 
  • Take out the garbage
And a few multiple commercial break items:
  • Put away laundry (I fold while watching whatever show I happen to be watching)
  • Mop 
  • Dust
  • Clean the fridge out
  • Vacuum
A little bit at a time, you can get the house clean. Or, as is my goal currently, keep the house clean during the week! 

Try out this method and let me know what you think! 

No comments:

Post a Comment