Monday, March 2, 2015

Pinterest Adventures: Turban Headband

For today's Pinterest Adventure, we are going to recycle an old tee shirt into a headband/wrap. I have a ton of old t-shirts that I've been meaning to use for things like bags, rugs, and so forth. I've also recently, been growing out my hair and it is longer than it has been since I've been in kindergarten. I have plans to cut and sell it after graduation, but until then, it is driving me CRAZY.

Enter the headwrap style headband. I envision a super thick headband that will contain most of my hair in it. But not be thick in the front. (I once saw a picture that looked like someone hat cut the sleeve off a t-shirt and pulled it over their head.)  I went to good ol' Pinterest to see if I could find any DIY headwraps on there. The one that I found that actually was DIY and had instructions was on Cultured Blog.
http://culturedblog.com/dana/diy-baby-turban-headband
Bonus point: It says it's no-sew.

Of course after I read the instructions I didn't understand how it could be no-sew and still work. But, I'm determined to do these as they are written/described so you all will know if they actually work or not. Also, there is a mantra among knitters that I sometimes follow (but not always) of "Trust the pattern". So I did, I trusted the pattern.

 I grabbed a neutral light gray one because it's a color I know I would actually wear around my head and wouldn't clash too badly with the majority of my wardrobe.


My first tip is to use a quilting ruler, cutting board and rotary cutter if you have them. This makes the width more accurate and consistent as well as helping make the overall time invested shorter. 




As instructed, I cut 2 strips from the bottom of my shirt, I did mine 3" wide even though I thought I might want them wider. I then followed the step by step instructions:

I folded in half both strips, looping them together at the centers, then looped the bottoms into the tops and folded them in half again, pulling the bottom into the top: 
                   



This is where I got confused in the instructions while I was reading them, not actually doing the project. When I did it, the instructions made sense. It worked!


            

I am not a trendy person, so I wasn't sure how you're supposed to wear these.... 

Now, it's been about a week or so since I made it, and I've used it a couple times. The only change I would make is to make the bands wider, so they contain more hair at the back when my hair is up. I would also MAYBE sew a seam to keep all the layers together, they fall out of each other. No-sew would become sew one seam...  


If you are interested in being added to my Mythbusting for the Blog board, send me a message on Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment